[TowerTalk] Tower Foundations, II

Jim Lux jimlux at earthlink.net
Tue Feb 13 00:22:07 EST 2007

At 02:59 PM 2/12/2007, BRENT BAUM wrote:
>Slight change on the topic. I'm almost ready to go with my 33 foot
>unknown-brand crank up. (For those who want to take a stab at making an ID,
>I'll send you photos.)
>
>Zoning is clear, my small community here in Utah even has a version of the
>PRB-1 on their books, in addition to county, state and federal exemptions!
>
>My stumbling block is the building department; they want an engineer
>certified drawing of the 3x3x4 (or 5 or 6) reinforced concrete block. The
>real problem are the PE's, the least expensive quote I have received so far
>is $350, and that's if I do the drawing and spec the rebar cage!!

That seems like a reasonable price.. (there's a certain minimum
buy-in to cover the engineers "per job" costs)..

Have you checked the ARRL Volunteer Consulting Engineer list?
Might get someone to get you a drawing that will work (perhaps
without the wet stamp, but acceptable to the local regulators)..

>Suggestions, ideas, on how to persuade the building department that most of
>the nationally published drawings are virtually the same and reflect good
>engineering practices?
>
>Are there good sources of generic drawings in addition to the one in the
>ARRL antenna book?

Rohn or U.S.Towers?

>Finally I know our building department will accept an already "stamped"
>drawing from another source, at least they did for my house which is only
>vaguely similar to the drawing they accepted, i.e. it's rectangular and has
>a basement.

As in, they took a photocopy of some other wetstamped drawing?  Maybe
they'll take a similar drawing from Rohn?