[TowerTalk] Crank up / guy wires..

Rick Karlquist richard at karlquist.com
Mon Feb 26 19:14:27 EST 2007

Guyed crank ups used to be available until the 1970's.
The advantage of guying is that the base is much smaller
and the tower can be a lot lighter for the the same
windload.  To really take advantage of guying, some
towers had locks that took the stress off the raising
cable after the tower was cranked up.  It is not entirely
clear why they stopped making them, but the unpopularity
of guys due to XYL/neighbor complaints was probably
a factor.  If you don't mind guys, then Rohn 25/45 is a
much better way to go if you are able to climb.

Rick N6RK