[TowerTalk] antenna advice

David Humelsine n5wmq at comcast.net
Wed Feb 28 22:06:58 EST 2007

I have an opportunity to do some HF operating this summer from a cabin near
Taos NM.  I plan to use a Ten Tec Argonaut. The simple solution for an
antenna would be a  MFJ or SGC 230 antenna tuner with a 20 foot sloping wire
antenna element and a 2or 3 wire counterpoise. Main use will be PSK and RTTY
on 20 meters with some 30 meter use and depending on how well the antenna
works 40 as well. I know a multiband dipole would probably be better but the
nearest tree to hang it in is a half mile away so a fiberglass push up pole
is going to have to work. Will the RF loses in the tuner be small enough to
make  purchasing it worth while or should I stick to radials on the ground
and individual quarter wave vertical elements and run out and change
elements whenever I want to change bands?
Please reply to the group or to me personally at
n5wmqmail at comcast.net

thank you
David