[TowerTalk] Mast Guying Options

Phil Camera kb9cry at comcast.net
Tue Jan 2 11:29:43 EST 2007

So looking at using either the 3/16 (770 lb. pull strength)or 5/16 (1700 lb.)dacron for guys, as opposed to Phillystran because of the cost.  Just not sure how much I can trust the dacron's longevity. Thoughts or
suggestions here? Any input would be appreciated.

Tom

Well Tom, I think you already know the answer to your question.  How long do you think the ropes will last when you get one of those early spring ice storms that coats everything with 1/2 inch or more in ice followed by an early thunderstorm with high winds?

I've found over the years that doing it the right is the best way and the cheapest because you may be doing it over again because you've compromised.  From a UV standpoint the dacron should last a number of years but I'd be worried about the whole thing falling as mentioned.  Also will the aluminum tubing hold up also?

Phil  KB9CRY