[TowerTalk] Lightning

Bill Winkis kc4pe at mindspring.com
Thu Jan 4 07:09:43 EST 2007

I have two of the "porcupines from the "Wireman", Press Jones (N8UG)
on top of a 110' 45G.

One evening the kids came running in and said the tower was on fire...???

  And what we saw was bluish arcing on the Porcupines, I can only
surmise that it was different potentials discharging.

Also I must add a thunderstorm was coming up..it was dark and you
could taste the ozone in the air...even made the hair on my arm clingy ...

The protection for the tower is  a eight foot rock salt fed ground
rod on each leg.

-Bill