[TowerTalk] Troubleshoot Yaesu G-800DXA Rotator

wb4j at comcast.net wb4j at comcast.net
Fri Jan 5 15:11:23 EST 2007

I have used the subject rotator for almost 5 years.  Last March the rotator began behaving erratically and I returned the control box to Yaesu.  6 weeks and $100 later they returned it saying they had "realigned" it (most of my problems were related to inaccurate manual antenna direction--see letter extract below).  And the rotator worked fine.  Last week the rotator stopped working.  The control box powers up but nothing happens when I press the manual or preset controls.  I haven't been up the tower yet to check the molex connection so it's possible that the problem could be in the control cable (or it could be the rotator).  Before I get too involved here has anyone experience similar symptoms where nothing happens?  I hope to be able to borrow a spare control box to see if the control box is again the culprit.  Following is what I wrote to Yaesu in my March 2006 control box problem:

Here are the symptoms of my problem:

(1)               On power-up, the direction indicator automatically moves either CW or CCW up to 20-30 degrees and stops;  sometimes it comes back to its original position;

(2)               In manual control, it is difficult to get the antenna to stop on a fixed heading such as north; the antenna goes past it and I have to keep moving it back and forth to find the heading;

(3)               In the preset position, if I turn it to 90 degrees, sometimes the antenna stops 20 to 30 degrees off  that heading and I’ve now noticed that the indicator can show 45 degrees and the antenna is actually pointing north.

Of course, nothing at all is happening now.  The antennas consist of a F12 C4E and a C3i 5 el Yagi 8 feet above it.

Thanks in advance for any help, 73 and HNY to all.

Tom
WB4J