[TowerTalk] High Power / Low Power ? / better antenna

K8RI on TowerTalk K8RI-on-TowerTalk at tm.net
Fri Jan 5 22:01:40 EST 2007

Reading this I'm assume that you are talking about a repeater installation
and not an installation for working the repeater. I'm basing that on the
remark that the area is fairly flat over a 60 mile radius.

IF that is what you are asking then things are a bit more complicated.
what is 145' of minimum loss 1/2" coax
How high will the antenna be?

You also refer to 4 and 8 bay dipoles. How will they be configured?
Generally when all are mounted on one side of the tower they have a deep
null off the back. You can basically get a circular pattern by mounting half
on one side and half on the other side of the tower. If there is an area
where the null can be tolerated then of course you mount them all on the
same side.

>I was curiously seeking info on a new repeater and came across many sites,
>and formulas
> and one in choosing the best overall system for the cost. What would it
> be.....
>
> Let's say in choosing equipment everything is fairly close in camparison.
> 50 Watts (100 % duty cycle)
> Let's not disucss options...especially right now?
> 145 feet of 1/2" coax line...(Minimum loss)
> the question is?
>
> Would you consider an amplifier pushing out 100 Watts at 100 % duty cycle
> over a 4 bay dipole antenna (8 dbd gain)
>
> or
>
> Would you consider 50 watts over a 8 bay dipole antenna (11 dbd gain)

I'd take the 50 watts and the 8 bay dipole for two reasons. It can be split
with 4 on each side of the tower for a circular pattern. It could have about
half an S-unit better performance on receive. As most mobiles run around 50
watts on 2-meters (2-meters is an assumption) now days it'd be a good
balance.

Don't forget a good matching harness takes a fair amount of coax which
equals some loss.

For a repeater don't forget you are probably going to need 6 cans and those
will cost more than all of the stuff listed.

N833R - World's oldest Debonair CD-2
www.rogerhalstead.com