[TowerTalk] Unsafe Climbing Practices

Doug Renwick ve5ra at sasktel.net
Tue Jan 9 12:31:41 EST 2007

Kirk,

No apology needed here.  I appreciated you posting those
photos.  We should learn from the mistakes of others.  Tower
work has risks associated with these tasks...minimizing your
risk should be the goal.

Doug/VA5DX

Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Unsafe Climbing Practices

Thanks Frank.

In retrospect, it may have been irresponsible of me to
post those photos, lest someone get the wrong idea that
such practices were deemed safe. I was not trying to
advocate a partucular technique. I was trying to show
how one person dealt with the specific antenna under
question.  Thanks for posting a sobering response.
Maybe it will save someone's life.

-Kirk  K4RO

> Kirk,
>
> Any trained tower climber will be very concerned about the
lack of safe tower climbing practices evident in your
photographs.

> Here's an excellent reference for safe tower climbing
practices:

> http://www.blm.gov/nhp/efoia/wo/fy06/im2006-078attach1.pdf
>
> A quick review of the manual will uncover multiple unsafe
practices evident in your photographs, including (at least):
unsafe climbing surface, unsafe anchorage and unsafe
clothing.

> These disturbing photos should be a call to all of us to
better understand and practice safe climbing.