[TowerTalk] W2DU Balun Bead Source

Jim Brown jim at audiosystemsgroup.com
Tue Jan 9 20:23:21 EST 2007

On Tue, 09 Jan 2007 14:17:21 -0600, Cecil Moore wrote:

>you get more balun for the money with multi-turn toroids.
>Multi-turn toroids yield a choking impedance proportional to
>the square of the number of turns. Turns are cheap. W2DU baluns
>yield a choking impedance proportional to the number of beads.
>Beads are expensive.

VERY good advice. As it turns out, I'm about 90% done with a
tutorial on RFI and ferrites that includes a discussion of baluns, a
lot of measured data, and specific advice on troubleshooting RFI and
"rolling your own" choke baluns. It is on my website as an "advanced
first draft." You can download it as a pdf.

http://audiosystemsgroup.com/RFI-Ham.pdf

Comments are appreciated.

73,

Jim Brown K9YC