[TowerTalk] Tower Hauling "Cradle" advice needed

Rick Karlquist richard at karlquist.com
Wed Jan 17 13:44:54 EST 2007

Bill Erickson wrote:
> Gentlemen:
>
> I need to move a 24 foot long (when collapsed), 2,400 pound tower.
>
> I can not find a rental trailer that is longer than 14 feet.
>
> A long time ago I saw a ham towing a tower as a trailer. He had built and
> attached a cradle
> near the base of the tower. It had 15 inch car wheels and tires.

Someone told me that UST provides just such a trailer for customers
buying towers.  You get a one day permit for it from DMV.  You should
be aware that if the total length of your towing vehicle and trailer
exceeds 40 feet, you need a class A drivers license (like truck
drivers have).  When I moved a 26 foot long 4000 lb tower, I rented
a flat bed truck because it was just too much weight for my van
to go over the Grapevine.

Rick N6RK

Rick N6RK