[TowerTalk] Ground Rods in rocky soil

Joe - WDØM WD0M at centurytel.net
Thu Jan 18 13:45:03 EST 2007

Hi Bill,

Had a major problem here in the Rockies with
grounding.  We have bedrock 6 inches under the
soil all over our 5 acre lot.  After talking to
the locals, one in particular who installs
microwave towers on rocky terrain on top of the
mountains, he told me they use 50 foot lengths of
copper ribbon/strap about 2 inches across as a
ground.  They don't bury it, but run it away from
the base of the tower and just let it sit on top
of the rocks.  He said in all the years he's been
doing this, he has yet to see any significant
damage to the equipment, despite numerous direct hits to the towers.

My web page has a few details about it:

http://home.centurytel.net/WD0M/

Click on Ham Radio, then Lightning Protection.

Since I couldn't put my concrete base into the
ground, I had to put the concrete on top - held
in place with 25 lengths of re-bar which were
cemented into the bedrock.  (Click on Tower
Project for the details).  Quite a
challenge.  It's worked well - I've had a direct
hit, and all that got fried were two ICE
protectors - and ICE repaired them for free - great company!

I've lived in KH6 for a few years (Oahu) , and
never had any problems with
lightning.  Nonetheless, in your location, I'd
pursue something to help put my mind at ease.

Cheers,

Joe
WDØM