[TowerTalk] Yaesu G-1000DXA control box: pointer error

Eric Scace K3NA eric at k3na.org
Tue Jan 30 00:10:02 EST 2007

Hi folks --

   At W1KM the 10m stack is rotated by a Yaesu G-1000DXA.  The stack is
side-mounted so we only get about 300° of azimuth coverage.

   The control box does not track direction very well.  At the full CCW
limit (330°), we can set the pointer for the correct direction.  The
display reads out correctly from NW through E.  Thereafter the indicator
moves smaller and smaller distances ... so that, by the time the antenna
is pointing SW, the display indicator is 45° behind (i.e., pointing S).

   Recently this problem became worse.  The indicator no longer tracks
even in the previously-correct NW-through-E sector.

   We suspect something has gone wrong in the electronics within in the
control box... but wonder if anyone else has had -- and fixed -- this
problem.

   Thanks.

-- Eric K3NA