[TowerTalk] SteppIR

Dick Green wc1m at msn.com
Sun Jul 1 12:38:30 EDT 2007

Yeah, I think there's something wrong with the F/B in my models. I'm looking
into it.

The figures I posted included ground gain. The forward gain of 14.36 for
SteppIR and 14.29 for Force12 are about right, and match the figures
published by SteppIR and Force12. SteppIR publishes free-space gain of 9.5
dBi, which a little higher than I get when I run my models with free-space
gain (8.74 dBi.) My models are closer to the theoretical difference of 5.9
dB between free-space gain and gain over average ground. Force12's published
gain for the EF-420 at 74' over average ground is 14.5 dBi, which is very
close to my model's 14.29 dBi (96' over EZNEC's REAL/MININEC ground.)

As for F/B, SteppIR publishes 21 dBi and Force12 publishes 22 dBi. My models
are showing about 3 dB less, so there could be something wrong with them.
It's odd that I have the same error on the Force12 model, which is more
standard than the SteppIR model (the latter requires some tricks to model.)
Again, I'm looking into it.

As for F/B, it's true that it helps in certain contest situations,
especially in CQWW and ARRL DX. There are other contests, like CQ WPX, where
a little less F/B actually helps. In the big DX contests, these days the
problem is less about interference from loud adjacent US stations than from
loud adjacent EU stations. F/B doesn't do anything to help in that
situation. In fact, a little less F/B can help keep your frequency clear of
close US stations. That's the effect I get from my 40-2CD, which has
terrible F/B. But of course there are times when I want deep F/B. It all
depends on the situation.

73, Dick WC1M