[TowerTalk] Stadiums as Tower/Contest Locations

Pat Barthelow aa6eg at hotmail.com
Mon Jul 2 17:39:37 EDT 2007

I have observed the development process, and know some folks who are
"players".  What I observed, is that because there are often  Billions of
dollars on the table,  by various stakeholders, that there is a lot of
negotiating that goes on in the nitty gritty stages of pushing a major
project through.

Lots of:
If the developer wants approval of this 2 billion dollar development, then
he must contribute to the new high school that must be bult, the new freeway
overpass that needs construction, the upgrade to sewage treatment plant.  He
says to city/county, I can assist with the new high school,  but only X
percent.  If the county offers Y percent help on the freeway overpass, I
will up my offer to X plus 30 percent.  County says, if you build an
Assisted living home complex, at a county owned site across town, we will
reduce your expense at the high school by z percent.....  yada yada yada....

And so, the negotiations go... scratch my back, and I will, yours....with
big money at stake, and available, good negotiating skills can land unusual
deals for entities of low political or financial throw weight.   There have
been a number of spectacular videos of "Old" stadiums being brought down in
recent years in favor of new designs that can generate more revenue.   So if
ham radio could somehow develop a "voice" and presence at the right time and
place, or have high level officaials sympathetic to their cause, and consder
them to be valuable community assets, they could benefit from being included
early on in the new community/development plannng process.

Perhaps some approaches to National Organzations of City Planners, Or some
of the Mega Scale Home builders that do home building all around the
country, could pay off.

Once KB homes  (for example) succeeds somewhere in leveraging their
assistance and support of building a community ham staiton at the baseball
park, or new Stadium, with a $$ investment "in the noise level"  of monies
involved, and believes that was the extra touch that results in sealing a 2
billion dollar deal, they can incorporate that nationallly into their well
rehearsed presentation model for new developments.

Perhaps the ARRL could put together a task force to look into the community
planning process, approaching assiociations involved, at the National Level
and nudge their thinking to consider a ham radio communications
station/emergency operations center/Boys/Girsl Club/Cointest Club Station/
as a bargaining chip in all the negotiation process in new development,
inlcuding building new stadiums.
There may be tax angle advantages to developers who allocate and leverage
resources to such a community asset.

Sincerely, Pat Barthelow     aa6eg at hotmail.com
http://www.jamesburgdish.org
Jamesburg Earth Station  Moon Bounce Team
http://www.cq-vhf.com