[TowerTalk] Coax for crank-up TX-455

dabneyt at vaeye.com dabneyt at vaeye.com
Tue Jul 3 07:28:13 EDT 2007

Would appreciate latest thoughts re best coax type for a 55 foot
crank-up tower with the coax and rotor cables suspended (Kellem) from
the top stand-off--OR-- does anyone recommend attaching cables to each
of the lower stand-offs so that the cables form a loop at each stand-off
as the tower nests.  I have not raised the tower for the first time
yet---my understanding is that it is probably best to let the cables
slide throught the lower loops and hopefully coil neatly on the ground!
... and that some types of coax not only don't coil up neatly but also
degrade in efficiency/line-loss as the internal insulation and center
conductor deform with movement.

RF is fed to tower base by LMR-400UF.  Antenna (3 el Stepp) has not yet
arrived--several month backlog...

Thoughts/recommendations would be appreciated.  I have superficially
done a search of the archives and LMR-400UF sounds like a poor cable for
suspension and coiling.

Todd  K4RR  Richmond VA

********
This message may contain confidential information and is intended only
for the
recipient. If you are not the named addressee you should not
disseminate,
distribute, or copy this e-mail. Please notify the sender immediately if
you
have received this e-mail by mistake and delete this e-mail from your
system.
The Virginia Eye Institute accepts no liability for the content of this
e-mail,
or for the consequences of any actions taken on the basis of the
information
provided. Any views or opinions expressed in this e-mail are solely
those of the
author and do not necessarily represent those of the Virginia Eye
Institute.