[TowerTalk] How does the DX engineering 4Sq phasing box compare?

Tim Duffy K3LR k3lr at k3lr.com
Thu Jul 5 16:56:49 EDT 2007

I think there is some confusion going on here.
There are two versions of DX Engineering boxes that I am aware of.

The 1st was a copy of the Comtek box. Built by the former DX Engineering company
in Oregon (not to be confused with the even older DX Engineering company that
built RF speech processors for Drake and Collins gear) This Comtek clone can be
used for TX and RX. I measured the performance of this box (80 meter version)
and found it to be close to proper phasing, but not as good as the Comtek.

The 2nd (current DX Engineering company in Ohio) 4 square box is RX only. It was
designed by W8JI and is available direct from DXE. I use one on 160 meters with
mobile antennas for the vertical elements and it works great.

The Ohio DX Engineering company has said that they may produce a 4 square box (8
directions) that would TX and RX, but it has not come to market yet as far as I
know.

73!
Tim K3LR