[TowerTalk] Restoring a Tristao CZ-454 Tower

NPAlex at aol.com NPAlex at aol.com
Thu Jul 5 21:14:20 EDT 2007

Neil,

One thing I forgot mention is the substitute tower section needs to be
reinforced in one area.  The high stress point on the extended tower sections is
near the bottom where it exits the previous section.  Using the present tower
section as guide you may be able to devise your own additional cross bars go
strengthen that exit point.  You will also have to weld the sections together
instead of bolts to prevent interference.  I think you could also reuse the top
section of the original section to terminate the Rohn substitute.

I have successfully made repairs to a crank-up using a similar approach.
Good luck.  Also check all the pulley bearings to be sure the turn freely and
are adequately lubricated. Rusted, frozen pulley bearings can cause cable
failure at the most inopportune time.

Good luck,
Norm W4QN