[TowerTalk] re Ask the experts

Rob Atkinson, K5UJ k5uj at hotmail.com
Fri Jul 6 19:24:37 EDT 2007

Hi Dick,

I must say that I have never seen the yagi evaluation report, but I did get
the one for verticals.  I had put up a Gap Titan.  I was getting signal
reports on 40 meters of 10 db over S9 running 1 kw with it.  This was in
2001 when I returned to the air after being QRT for 18 years.  I thought 10
dB over 9 was pretty good, not having anything else to compare it to.  Then
I put up a center fed zepp with ladder line and balanced tuner and that was
15 dB better than the Titan.  Then I turned the center fed zepp into a 2
lambda horizontal loop and added another 10 dB over the zepp.  The Titan
became a backup antenna, mostly unused.  I got and read the K7LXC vertical
evaluation report.  The Titan didn't fair very well in it.  There were a few
bands on which it was so so.   These reports compare each antenna to a
simple reference antenna on a range where field strength measurements are
made.  This is about the only way to really evaluate an antenna.   From my
experience, I urge you to get the beam report, read it, and based on what it
says, try another beam if you wish to.  You may be glad you did, depending
on exactly what it says and/or what kind of operating you do.   Generally,
we desperately need more of these evaluations--they are the only serious ham
antenna reviews I know of that can be relied upon.  ARRL would do everyone a
favor if they spent some of their money on doing these kinds of evaluations,
instead of their somewhat subjective reviews.  The problem is most ham
antennas work just enough to make us think they're okay.  I was "satisfied"
with my Gap vertical when it was my only antenna and I had not done any A/B
tests with something else.

<<<This "Mosley Bashing" has finally hit my button !!
I have a PRO-57A and am very satisfied with it. It
is my understanding that subsequent models were
"improved". I have not seen any published data from
verifiable sources except those peddling their
"comparisons" which I don't intend to pay for.

Not every ham has the real estate to put up Mono-
Banders on Sky-Needles, so, as it is in life, one
must make compromises. But I cannot accept that the
PRO-57A is that bad, not without proof.>>>

Translation:  I want proof but I'm not paying for it.
Good luck with that one.

73,

rob / k5uj