[TowerTalk] Ask the experts

K7LXC at aol.com K7LXC at aol.com
Sat Jul 7 12:01:31 EDT 2007

In a message dated 7/7/2007 8:20:09 A.M. Pacific Daylight Time,
towertalk-request at contesting.com writes:

>  This "Mosley Bashing" has finally hit my button !!
I have  a PRO-57A and am very satisfied with it. It
is my understanding that  subsequent models were
"improved". I have not seen any published data  from
verifiable sources except those peddling their
"comparisons" which  I don't intend to pay for.

    You mean you're not interested in any proof? FB -  go ahead and believe
the manufacturer's claims which are not only  non-verifiable for the most part,
but also the figments of some manufacturer's  imaginations.

    The whole reason for several of us to go to all  the trouble of comparing
a bunch of yagi and vertical antennas on the air in  comparison to a
reference antenna is so that there was some sort of  uniform results for everyone to
see and even discuss. Of course the report  generated some comments but
generally the results have been accepted as  useful. Also the protocol used is
published with the report, and if you follow  it and run your own tests (you're
heartily invited to do so and share the  results with us), you find the results
are repeatable.

>  Not every ham has the real estate to put up Mono-
Banders  on Sky-Needles, so, as it is in life, one
must make compromises. But I  cannot accept that the
PRO-57A is that bad, not without  proof.

        I have a theory why Mosley  owners are as adamant as you are.

        First, "I owned a TA-33 in  the 60's and it worked great. The newer,
bigger Mosleys should work great  too."

        Next, "I just worked  Scaffolding Reef so it must work great."

        Next "I spent this much  money on it, therefore it must work great."

        And finally, they have  never compared them to anything.

        Whoever mentioned N6BT's  article about "anything works" hit the nail
on the head.

        Our antenna comparison  reports were published to advance the art of
ham radio antenna understanding and  use. Obviously your mileage is going to va
ry.

Cheers,
Steve     K7LXC
co-author of the aforementioned reports available at _www.championradio.com_