[TowerTalk] Used tower advice request

Greg S oldlongbeard at yahoo.com
Sun Jul 8 15:40:05 EDT 2007

Ladies, and gents-
I have the opportunity to acquire a tower, with the following
attributes: Self supporting, 110 Ft. ht., painted, with much surface
rust. Triangular, tapered 20 ft. sections, with lowest having 6.5
foot spread between legs, and top section about the same size as 25G
(It's longer, hence the odd total length). Bottom section legs are
thick wall tubing, about 1.75" Dia, with the bracing appearing to be
solid .5" rod. Bracing gets smaller on top section, about 1/4",
again, like Rohn 25G. Legs on top section about 1" dia. or so. It is
ALL welded construction. The sections have flanges welded on, to bolt
them together. This dude is HEAVY. I can get it to my site, and have
the room, and the ability to have it installed. My QUESTIONS are:
1). Will it safely hold my 10-30LPDA (KLM) with 30 foot boom, and 15
Sq. Ft. wind load, and a dual band UHF/VHF Vertical?
2). Would I need to invest in blasting it to prepare surface for
paint/cold Zinc spray?
3). In relation to question #2, anyone ever think about spray-on
truck bed liner for coating a tower? (seems like it would work well).

Thanks in advance for any help, and opinions.

Greg Schippers, KC8HXO in West Michigan