[TowerTalk] Ask the What?

Doug Renwick ve5ra at sasktel.net
Sun Jul 8 23:54:25 EDT 2007

Cheers,
Steve     K7LXC
TT ADMIN

PS - What's the old saying? Better to be a fool in silence than open
your
mouth and let everyone know that you are?

Jim Brown you owe all an apology for your rant!  Arrogant, condescending
remarks do not contribute anything positive to this list.  You have
displayed your ignorance.  You base some of your statements on a single
test ... you should know better.  Test results have to be reproducible.
That is the tests need to be repeated by another group of qualified
testers.  If the second set of tests agrees with the first then there is
a high probability that the results are close to the true unknown value.
Otherwise to me the first test is just an indication, not an absolute,
and nothing more.
Steve and Ward did a lot of work ... I don't sense anyone saying
otherwise.  Try to remember that we are human and ALL humans can make
mistakes and tests can be wrong.  Test results have to be reproducible.
What you have overlooked is that Dick is satisfied with his Mosley ...
it works well for him.  So what is YOUR problem with Dick's
satisfaction?

Doug/VA5DX

This "Mosley Bashing" has finally hit my button !!
I have a PRO-57A and am very satisfied with it. It
is my understanding that subsequent models were
"improved". I have not seen any published data from
verifiable sources except those peddling their
"comparisons" which I don't intend to pay for.

Not every ham has the real estate to put up Mono-
Banders on Sky-Needles, so, as it is in life, one
must make compromises. But I cannot accept that the
PRO-57A is that bad, not without proof.

73, Dick, W1KSZ

And YOU have hit mine!!!

Do you have a clue about how much work it takes to obtain ACCURATE
data on the performance of an antenna?  To measure the gain, you
must build the antenna, get it up in the air on a substantial
tower and rotor in some test range where there is nothing to
seriously distort the data, make sure that it is properly tuned,
drive it with a transmitter, and MEASURE the field strength at
some distance that is representative of its far field pattern. To
measure the pattern, you must repeat those measurements every 5-10
degrees. 4-5 guys could easily work a full day to do that if the
transmitting and receiving towers were already there and nothing
went wrong. It could easily take twice that time if Mr Murphy came
to call.

To measure another antenna, you must take the first one down, put
the new one up, and repeat that process. And, of course, you must
have purchased or borrowed the antenna in the first place. And
even if it was borrowed or donated, you still must spend the time
and money to unpack, handle, repack, and return it.

Those "peddling their comparisons" have HUNDREDS  of man hours and
a significant dollar investment in those measurements, and YOU are
either too stupid or too cheap to contribute to their work. You
clearly don't deserve to benefit from it.

73,

Jim Brown K9YC

Checked by AVG Free Edition.
08/07/2007 6:32 PM