[TowerTalk] Ask the experts

jeremy-ca km1h at jeremy.mv.com
Mon Jul 9 09:41:16 EDT 2007

Back in 67 I got married and bought my first house. I installed a 90' tower
with a TH6 on top. It was adequate but I kept getting beat by a friend 3
miles away with homebrew 3 el monobanders at the same height. We both ran
similar power. I quickly followed suit and the improvement was pronounced.

Fast foreward to 1990.  In an attempt to minimize the aluminum I installed
another TH-6 at 60' to use as a fill in for my stacked monobanders in
contests. It was useless so I wound up building more monobanders for each
band. By useless I mean a purely subjective term meaning being able to crack
pileups with ease or maintaining a run frequency.

Before Dean Straw, N6BV/1, installed his 4 stack of TH-7's in the adjoining
town we had considerable discussions about the merits and faults of
tribanders. He was absolutely sure mathematically that the trap losses were
minimal and of no consequence.
After his were up and tuned we ran comparative DX tests for months. Dean
always came in 2nd place. He ran all sorts ot terrain analysis, antenna
plots, propagation charts, etc between us and K1EA included and generally
scratched his head.

To this day I doubt if any multiband yagi is as good as monobanders on equal
boom lengths. Something is missing with the computer analysis in the losses,
interaction or both.

Carl
KM1H