[TowerTalk] JAMAICA ANTENNA

k4tmc at aol.com k4tmc at aol.com
Wed Jul 11 16:47:54 EDT 2007

A "beefier" pole is available at www.TMastCo.com for $115.00.  Plus,
there are no RF losses.

Yes, I have a financial interest...

73,
Henry - K4TMC

-----Original Message-----
From: Jim Brown <jim at audiosystemsgroup.com>
To: towertalk at contesting.com <towertalk at contesting.com>
Sent: Wed, 11 Jul 2007 1:12 pm
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] JAMAICA ANTENNA

On Tue, 10 Jul 2007 22:32:12 -0500, Michael Mark wrote:

>I want to bring a small ICOM rig and an antenna.

You didn't say what bands you want to operate. One of the nicest
and easiest portable antennas to drag on an airline is the
telescoping fiberglass pole made by DK9SQ. It collapses to 1M in
length and telescopes to be a quarter wave on 40M. Simply tape a
length of wire to the top of it and clamp it onto the frame of
that deck. Then drop a second wire down from the deck to act as a
counterpoise. Or bond the radio to the frame of the building.
Users have learned that the pole is lossy at RF, so you don't want
to tape the wire to the pole for its full length, but if you
simply use the pole as a support it works very well. This kind of
setup will get you on all bands 40-10M with suitable lengths of
wire.

My local club back in Chicago has a QRP night once a year in a
county park. I used a rig exactly like this with my K2, and did
quite well with it on 30 and 20. I avoided 40, only to avoid
giving grief to other members who were working that band.

Google for DK9SQ to find the pole. It sells for about $100. I'm
told that MFJ sells a similar product for about $20 less. I
haven't seen any comments on quality. I've also seen "beefier"
versions of this pole for more money.

73,

Jim K9YC