[TowerTalk] Guy wire tensioning.. here's my idea

K7LXC at aol.com K7LXC at aol.com
Thu Jul 12 10:32:15 EDT 2007

In a message dated 7/11/2007 10:49:31 A.M. Pacific Daylight Time,
towertalk-request at contesting.com writes:

>  I've been thinking about this and believe I have a way...  there is of
course some additional drag with the pulleys, rope stretch won't  be that much of
an issue. It goes like this..

>  come-along  clamped to guy wire on one end, rope on the other end. rope
runs through  pulley on anchor (10,000lb rating in dirt, concrete top-filled, so
the side  load shouldn't hurt it), out to a pulley on the nearest available
tree, then  straight down to a platform of some sort (pallet?) with 400 lbs on
it. When  the weight/platform/pallet come off the ground about 1/4", tension
is about  right. Tighten with turnbuckle until weight is back on  ground.

>  What do you think?

    Nobody said that hams weren't ingenious.

    Sounds like an awful lot of work when all you  have to do is make one
toll-free phone call and then you can do the job  accurately in a couple of
minutes.

Cheers,
Steve     K7LXC
TOWER TECH and