[TowerTalk] Tilting tower query

Roger (K8RI) K8RI-on-TowerTalk at tm.net
Fri Jul 13 16:39:19 EDT 2007

> There are a lot of windmill monopoles for sale on the web
> that use this method of tilt up.  Suggest you read about
> them.  I've used this technique many times.  The "rigging"
> matters a lot.  The other pitfall is that the "stub mast" (also
> known as a "falling derrick") can buckle.  This buckling is
> encouraged if it sags from its own weight.  The fix for this
> is to put a mid span guy on it connected to the tower.

There were several towers that used this method for "folding over" available
back in the 60s and 70s as I recall.  I thought ROHN even offered one at
some time, but I may be confusing it with a similar set up.

These towers used a truss arrangement that looked almost like an add on to
the upper portion of a standard tower. This truss extended down almost all
the way to the base from the hinge point. They used a winch to pull the
truss down which raised the upper portion.  I've seen tubular towers
constructed in much the same manner.

Triasto I believe was one manufacturer.

73

Roger (K8RI)