[TowerTalk] AB Chance installation

Bill Aycock baycock at hughes.net
Fri Jul 20 18:16:33 EDT 2007

I put in five of these for a Rohn 25, fold-over tower. (four guy
locations and a side connection for lifting.)
The use of 8" Chase was over kill, but I got them cheap at a
bankruptcy sale.  I am in Alabama, with soil that is a mix of dirt
and clay. I used a driver originally intended for House Trailer
anchor installation. I rented it at a "U-rent-it". This is an
electric  motor, reversible, with a worm drive. It had two pipe arms
for countering the torque.
This was about ten years ago, and I was over 70 at the time. I did it
alone, but I had to brace one of the torque bars on the earth when I
got about half way in. The switch is a normally off, spring loaded
model, for safety; if your hand slips, it goes "Off".
YMMV- Good luck- Bill- W4BSG

At 01:13 PM 7/16/2007, john.brewer at us.schneider-electric.com wrote:
>I put 3 of those things in (ordered through Greybar... )  and
>they're really great.  I too live
>in NC and 2/3 went in fairly easy, while the 3rd took about 10 hours
>to install. One thing that
>helped was to sharpen the leading edge of the screw with an angle
>grinder...bevel it so it's
>pretty sharp.  I'm sure a lot of what I was hitting was tree roots,
>so I know the sharpening
>helped cut through some of those.

We batter this Planet as if we had someplace else to go.