[TowerTalk] 160m Inverted L

jeremy-ca km1h at jeremy.mv.com
Mon Jul 23 11:49:11 EDT 2007

My take on the subject from many years of 80/160M operation at different
locations is as follows:

Superb to very good ground such as a salt water marsh, a fresh water swamp
with plenty of dead vegatation (gooey muck). Anything works, 4 to 16 1/4
wave radials is fine, more cant hurt but dont go overboard. 4' ground rods
at the ends and at the base.

Good to average ground as in a midwest farm field. 32 to 64 on ground
radials, 128 is overkill.

Poor to average ground. 64-128 on ground radials, maybe a ground screen
within 30-50' of the base. Consider 30-40 elevated radials if possible.

Very poor ground, most of New England, etc. Dont waste your time with on
ground radials unless there is no other choice. 30-60 elevated radials and
even a ground screen if feasible; this is becoming a popular choice among AM
broadcasters either installing a new system or having found their 50 year
old buried radials have become one with Mother Nature.
The FCC has actually asked some stations to reduce power since their proof
of performance field strength with elevated radials is actually higher than
their as new buried system.

Im a big fan of elevated radials since I live on top of a ridge; granite has
poor conductivity!  At a prior location with damp but sandy soil a ground
screen made a huge difference when placed over 60 on ground radials.

At the cottage in Maine 100 yards from the ocean I use only a 50' long
ground screen covered with 1/2' loam and reseeded. Thats almost the size of
the available open ground. The antenna is 50' of mast with a 4 wire top hat
and a coil at the base to complete the required resonance. With a shielded
loop for RX that setup has worked a few new ones when Ive had to be there
for family reasons.

The fencing sold at garden centers works well. Get the type with a 2 x 4"
mesh that is welded, then galvanized and then plastic coated. Peel off
enough plastic to solder to and seal the joint with automotive undercoat,
roofing tar, etc. I found my mesh (5  50' x 4' rolls) in a local weekly Want
Advertiser, it was one year old and like new and 1/3 of new cost.

Remember that the better the ground the lower the angle for maximum gain up
to almost the free space model. This may become self defeating since some DX
comes in at angles above 40* or so. I worked 3Y0A some years ago (1989 or
90) on 160 with an inverted Vee at 60' apex. It took all of one call in a
monster pileup.The operator later told me at Dayton I was way above the din.

Carl
KM1H