[TowerTalk] Feedline Coil or Loop??

Roger (K8RI) K8RI-on-TowerTalk at tm.net
Mon Jul 23 21:39:29 EDT 2007

You said Steve, but responeded to my post so I'll answer. <:-))

> Steve,
>
> I have a couple of questions about the coil feed-line you are using.
> 1.  What is the diameter of the coil around the mast?

About 18" (2 turns)

> 2.  What is the size of the tower top plate?

ROHN 45G (about 18")

> 3.  Over the years, does the constant (or should I say frequent) moving of
> the antenna direction cause wear on the bottom of the coax outer jacket
> where it rubs against the tower top plate?

It hasn't so far and that top plate is the typical galvanizing meaning it's
fairly rough.
There is very little movement of the coax even running contest type of
operation.

> 4. Do you have any sort of smooth slippery material on the top plate of
> your tower (such as teflon or a plastic cutting board material, or is it
> just the galvanized metal?

Just plain old galvanizing.

In http://www.rogerhalstead.com/ham_files/Tower29.htm the cables have not
been positioned yet and you can see a big loop sticking up to my left. That
loop contains a run to each system.  440, 144, 50, and the tribander. Hmmmm
I mis spoke earlier, there are only 4 runs in the bundle. The 5th goes to
the remote switch (not visible) just below my feet. The TV antennas were not
yet in place when this shot was taken.

73

Roger (K8RI)