[TowerTalk] Why copper ground road and not stainless???

Jim Lux jimlux at earthlink.net
Wed Jul 25 09:31:24 EDT 2007

At 05:22 AM 7/25/2007, Beat Meier wrote:
>Hello
>
>Why everybody is using copper ground roads?

Tradition and history.
If you're installing a ground rod for regulatory compliance, some
sets of rules require copper.

The National Electrical Code does not require a copper rod, only that
if it's made of iron or steel that it be galvanized or otherwise
protected from corrosion (which your stainless steel rod would certainly do).

Why not use stainless "roads" but not even round so we will have much
>more contact to earth say a stainless road like an V:
>
>    /\
>  /   \
>/      \
>
>with side of about 1.25'' (3cm) and thickness of 1/8'' (3mm)

Sure.. I think it's more a matter of tradition.  Historically, a
plain round rod is cheaper than any rolled form.