[TowerTalk] Antenna ID

n7ka at comcast.net n7ka at comcast.net
Thu Jul 26 16:40:23 EDT 2007

I agree with Hector, XER2K.  It appears to be a TELREX TB4EC. Thisantenna is a 2el tribandeer 10/15/20M . Telrex catalog from 1988 has it listed but states boom is 8ft long.

It is not pictured in the catalog, onlythe larger TB6EM (a 6el tribander).

The picture of antenna on the ground is possibly wrong in element placing.  It is most likely a driven element with separate reflectors for 10/15/20M.  The element with 2 traps (right side in picture) is the driven element.  Next element to left would be the shortest element 18" 5"(10M), next element would be the mid sized 24' 5"is for 15M, and the last/longest element 33" 6" element to left in picture would be for 20M.  The other triband antennas each used separate reflectors and trapped driven element an trapped directors (the TB6EM had an additional separate driven element for 10M so it was 3el on 20M, 3el on 15M, and 4el on10M (I owned one of these in 1967-1975 but it was called a TM30C then).

TELREX has been out of business for a number of years and parts MIGHT very scarce to locate.  If the black box (a type of balun for matching to feedline) is good and the traps are good it is possible you might have a working 2 element antenna.  It was rated a 1KWP.  This rating most likely a carry over from AM days and if so I would not run this antenna at more than 1KW from the amp.  If the brown epoxy coating of the traps is cracked you can expect water damage to the coil and capacitor inside. At that point I would consider it a good source of aluminum for building some antenna project.  I was given 2ea of TELREX TB5EM with cracked epoxy traps and they are aluminum for projects.

BTW, the antenna listed for $199.95 in 1988.

Good luck with your antenna.

Arne N7KA

From: James Enix <jamenbafre56 at yahoo.com>