[TowerTalk] How close does a vertical have to be to saltwater tosee any benefit

john at kk9a.com john at kk9a.com
Thu Jul 26 21:06:49 EDT 2007

You are way too far away from the salt water to have enhanced radiation
below the Pseudo Brewster angle.

John KK9A

To: Tower Forum <towertalk at contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] How close does a vertical have to be to saltwater tosee
any benefit?
From: Jon M Knodel
Date: Thu, 26 Jul 2007 15:11:54 -0700

Here is my question - Just how close does a vertical have to be to saltwater
see any benefit over typical ground?  We all know that a vertical over
saltwater is excellent, but I want to know if it would be much of a benefit
put one up at my location.

I am located on a peninsula and my qth is about 1.25 miles from the ocean to
the west and about 0.5 miles to a saltwater bay to the east.  Our soil is
100%
sand and typically have a very high ground water table.  Would this
proximity
to saltwater give me any benefit over a station without any saltwater around
anywhere with the same vertical antenna?  Or would it take the same vertical
installed DIRECTLY over saltwater to see any benefit from the saltwater?
Any
thoughts would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks.

Jon N7XW