[TowerTalk] Grounding Standards

Jim Lux jimlux at earthlink.net
Fri Jul 27 15:04:11 EDT 2007

At 08:32 AM 7/27/2007, Jim Brown wrote:
>On Fri, 27 Jul 2007 11:04:26 -0400, Alan NV8A wrote:
>
>The grounding requirements of NEC are not terribly demanding, so
>the stuff I'm seeing quoted here re: tower grounding seems a bit
>suspect. I'd like to see citations of the numbered paragraphs that
>call for the large conductors being discussed before I take it as
>gospel.

I think there's some conflation of the NEC grounding requirements
(easy to meet for most cases) and NFPA lightning ground requirements
(NFPA 780) and various manufacturer (e.g. Polyphaser) recommendations.

(FWIW, NFPA 780 in the year 2000 revision started to recommend the
use of radial ground conductors below ground level ot distribute
lightning charge)

There's also an IEC standard IEC62305 for lightning protection.

one might want to look at http://www.lightningsafety.com/ which has a
lot of info on their website.

Jim, W6RMK