[TowerTalk] Yagiis

john at kk9a.com john at kk9a.com
Sat Jun 2 11:14:29 EDT 2007

Hello Tom

It's nice to see you back on towertalk.  I did a lot of modeling when I
built my P40A 20m 36' boom antenna and I decided to go with four elements.
I wanted less windload and weight.  The four element had the same gain as
the five and the SWR is  flat across the entire band.  The only benefit that
I saw to going with a five element was improved F/B, which was not a concern
for me.   Many are now using the OWA designs which use a lot of elements and
have a 50 ohm impedance.  I guess this eliminates any hairpin match losses
(whatever they are), but in my modeling I have not seen the advantage to
having all of this aluminum in the air.

73,
John KK9A / P40A