[TowerTalk] elevated radials vertical

Tom McAlee tom at klient.com
Fri Jun 8 17:56:39 EDT 2007

> Ground mounting has become popular not because it works better but because
> DX engineering sells all sorts of neat accessory's to assist in ground
> mounting.

I don't usually get involved in elevated-vs-ground radial system debates,
but that comment is so rediculous I can't help myself.

While I don't have any DXE vertial accessories, I have a lot of their RX
antenna accessories.  I've actually called them to order things and had them
talk me out of it, offering suggestions for other things to try first.  They
definately put my results ahead of their making a sale.

And, 3000' of wire in 120+ radials?  You didn't say if you were talking
about 10m or 80m with your 6BTV, but for most of the bands it covers that
means they weren't very long.  There is little point in putting down 120
radials unless they're about 0.4 wavelengths long.  If they're only 0.25
wavelength, you might as well keep it at 60 radials.  If they're shorter,
even less.  In other words, the quantity wasn't gaining you much as that
short length so it isn't surprising your results didn't show it.

In any case, I kind of like that people think their elevated systems work
just as well.  It makes for less competition in the pileups.

73,
Tom, NI1N