[TowerTalk] RF Choke or Balun

Rick Ellison rellison at twcny.rr.com
Fri Jun 8 09:28:49 EDT 2007

I'm dropping my tower (55' crank-up/laydown) to do some work on my A3
Tribander. While I'm working on it I need to replace the coax that goes from
the Antenna down to the junction box at the ground. Right now I am using
rg8/u with a RF Choke wound in it. This piece of coax is bad. Some bird
liked eating it for dinner or a snack and at times the antenna goes deaf
because of that.

Since I don't have any more rg8/u left but have lots of RG8x I was going to
run this up the tower. My question is what would be better

1.       Making a loop of rg8x into a rf Choke  and connecting that to the
antenna

Or

2.        Using a 1 to 1 balun I have and attaching the coax directly to
that and not make an RF Choke??

If I do make an RF Choke how many turns of rg8x will I need? Is it the same
as rg*/u 8 turns 6 inches across??

73's Rick N2AMG

aim:n2amg

yahoo:n2amg