[TowerTalk] SteppIR problem

W5LT W5LT at tx.rr.com
Sun Jun 10 22:19:39 EDT 2007

Bill:
I too have been following your exploits, both here and on the SteppIR
reflector.
I still believe the issue is related to the power supply. As Mike M. pointed
out, the motor drive is via current sources, thus the length of cable is of
secondary consideration. Howwever, the symptoms you describe point to a
current limiting effect in the power supply its self. That is, the system
runs fine with less than 4 motors running, kick in all four and the symptoms
show up, and the symptoms suggest a drop in the supply voltage (lights
flicker, controller shuts down, etc.).
Can you get a power supply capable of delivering more current, perhaps two
12V regulated supplies hooked in series?
Also, you might try to actually measure the voltage and/or current being
delivered by the power supply under load.
If the voltage remains fairly constant when all four motors are driven, then
it is not the problem.

Bob, W5LT