[TowerTalk] Balun question

Jim Brown jim at audiosystemsgroup.com
Thu Jun 14 11:27:35 EDT 2007

On Thu, 14 Jun 2007 07:46:39 -0400 (EDT), donovanf at starpower.net wrote:

>Jim,

>Thanks for providing the additional links showing the details of your
>measurements.  ScalarChokeMeasurements1.pdf shows six traces, but only
>five are labelled.  What is the unlabelled trace?

It's an optical illusion. There are only five curves -- the traces cross
each other.  I went back to the Quattro spreadsheet to confirm it. :)

>Were the chokes also tested with power levels actually used in the
>intended application on transmitting antennas?  Overheating and core
>saturation are common problems that don't show up with the low power
>bench tests you documented.  It's important to know this information
>before a choke is used at 100 watts or 1500 watts (or whatever power
>level is intended).  Teflon coaxial cable is typically used on chokes
>at the 1500 watt level to avoid damage from overheating.

Hi Frank,

Thanks for the questions.

Lots of things have typically been done, but one of the points I'm
making in this tutorial and my subsequent work is that there are better
ways of doing what we have typically done. W1HIS correctly observed the
value of using high impedance chokes to reduce coupling of noise