[TowerTalk] Ferrite Balun on a LPDA?

Clint Talmadge unclebudd at bellsouth.net
Thu Jun 14 13:00:01 EDT 2007

I am close to putting my Tennadyne T-6 back up. When I took it down it had the prescribed Coax Balun on it and it showed it's age. For the last month or so I have had the antenna on a short perch in the yard with a Ferrite Bead Balun on it and it sweeps fine using an analyzer and I have even made a few DX contacts on it. The balun I am using is a W2AU by Unadilla. I have searched different archives and the only one with any significant information is one I started on eHam some years ago.The old Tennadyne maker specifically said he had not tested a ferrite balun and did not recommend them. The reasons I would like to use the Ferrite Balun are:

Lower profile - less wind resistance
Longer life - better built than my taped Coax Balun
Better Balance - the antenna is much closer to being balanced (weight wise) with the Ferrite Balun

There is precious little written about feeding LPDAs. What little I have read does not address this.

I am open to suggestions as the antenna will not go up till some time in early July.

Clint - W5CPT