[TowerTalk] Ferrite Balun on a LPDA?

jeremy-ca km1h at jeremy.mv.com
Thu Jun 14 15:24:02 EDT 2007

Dan, thanks for that link.

What are the specs of the Aztec sleeve balun? From the table it appears to
use 73/77 mix ferrite which peaks at low HF. For 10-20M a 43 mix would
improve the performance. Alternating mixes on the coax gives excellent 2-30
mHz performance.

Around 1989-90 I tested a wide range of ferrites for sleeve baluns using a
HP Vector Impedence Meter and wrote the results up for the YCCC, dont
remember when/if it was published; I moved just after. One size did not fit
all! My goal was to obtain a minimum of 1200 Ohms reactance which was easily
met.

Carl
KM1H