[TowerTalk] Tower Consult

Dick, W1KSZ w1ksz at earthlink.net
Sat Jun 16 13:03:05 EDT 2007

I recently retired and am planning to re-locate to Tucson, AZ (from
Lexington, MA). I am in the enviable position of rebuilding the shack
and putting up a new antenna system.
At present, I have narrowed the choice of towers to either 80' of
Rohn 45 or an 80' Universal Aluminum Free-Standing tower.
On top I am looking at a Tennadyne 8 or 10 el HF Log with a 6 Meter
antenna above that (10' separation).
The Rohn is the "classic" approach but the Universal is very inviting.
First, no guys are required but it takes a lot more concrete in the base.
Also, not sure how easy it would be for two guys to climb it to install
the antennas.
The Rohn, while adequate, has it's drawbacks. Namely three sets of Guys
and three more concrete piers.
I would appreciate comments on my "predicament" and suggestions are
welcome.

Thanks,

73, Dick, W1KSZ
--