[TowerTalk] Vertical Lightning Protection

William B. Stacy wstacy at wildblue.net
Tue Jun 19 12:48:11 EDT 2007

I am going to install a series-fed, full-sized vertical for 160 in a few
weeks.  What I would like to find out is the preferred method of lightning
protection (that is, shunting it to ground).  There seem to be two methods:
a spark gap, and a shunt coil.  What are the accepted practices for
broadcast systems these days?  And yes, I am planning a set of lightning
radials with multiple ground rods, Cadweld bonding, etc.

73,

Bill, N5TU