[TowerTalk] Fwd: Re: vertical ground experiment

David Gilbert xdavid at cis-broadband.com
Thu Jun 21 20:06:01 EDT 2007

I totally agree.  Due to neighborhood considerations, I've used a lot of
different verticals in my ham radio career and I've done a lot of
experimenting with them.  It's not difficult to achieve a pretty wide
range of feedpoint impedances by altering the feedpoint relative to the
vertical portion versus the radials, or even to some extent by making
the radials non-equal lengths.  It's pretty easy to achieve 50 ohms by
making the vertical longer than 1/4 wave and shortening up on the
radials, or by making the vertical longer than a quarter wave and
inserting some capacitance below the feedpoint.  As you say, a ground
plane with a finite ground system is electrically similar to a dipole,
and an off-center fed dipole gives a higher impedance and can even still
be resonant (for all that matters).  It doesn't take too big a leap to
imagine that variability in coupling between radials and ground, or
possible radiation from the radials, would have a similar skewing effect
on the relative electrical (as opposed to physical) feedpoint, and
therefore the antenna's impedance.  I have never been able to accurately
measure the field strength as a function of those variations, but EZNEC
models point to the same thing that you, W8JI, and others have
previously reported ... namely that feedpoint impedance by itself is not
an absolute indicator of performance.

73,
Dave  AB7E