[TowerTalk] Buying, Removing and Reinstalling Used Towers.

Dr M J DiGirolamo DrD at 2020.com
Wed Jun 27 11:31:51 EDT 2007

Dave,

  These are all EXCELLENT questions but I'd be surprised if you got much
more useful information other than for these two: a) who installed the tower
and b) how old it was.

   I bought a 6yr old USTower 72' last June (2006) from the estate of a SK.
His wife was out of the country for two years and found it installed when
she got home!  She had no paperwork but she was gone in 1999 and 2000.  She
thought it was done professionally (though some of what I've seen was not so
professional).

    Buying, removing and reinstalling a used tower is a bigger project than
most first timers ever dreamed and SAFETY must be the paramount
question/issue.  Although I got a fantastic bargain on this tower (around
$2K for $15K in tower and accessories), I'm in for over $20k now.  It's one
year later and, though the tower is in place and has been raised it's
currently folded over and the final antenna installation should be complete
within the next month (sooner except vacations are in there).  Admittedly, I
went overboard on the grounding system, etc, but at least I know it has been
done safely and correct.

73,

Mike DiGirolamo, W4XN
Charlottesville, VA