[TowerTalk] Tower ACCIDENT, engineering

Doug Renwick ve5ra at sasktel.net
Thu Jun 28 15:05:15 EDT 2007

Rick,

Give me more details about how the tower was lifted and how it was
carried to the new site.

Doug

35 years ago I lived in Seattle and was a member of the Western
Washington DX club.  It seemed everyone in the club used R25
and many installations were over the top in terms of loading of
the R25.  Seattle is a high wind area, yet I never heard of
anyone having a tower come down.  I also participated in various
questionable tower raising parties.  For example, W7PHO had a 90
ft Rohn 25 tower with stacked Yagi's on top.  The club lifted
this tower off the ground in one piece in the vertical position
with all the antennas on top and then carried it 100 feet to a
new location, where it was lowered onto the new base.  Each guy
wire had a person on it to keep the tower from falling over.
We all had to walk together.  Several spotters watched the
vertical angle and yelled commands to the guy wire pullers.
Compared to this, N6TV's adventure looks tame.

Rick N6RK