[TowerTalk] SteppIR

Joe Subich, W4TV w4tv at subich.com
Fri Jun 29 13:04:15 EDT 2007

Bob,

Obviously you have not done the work.  I have just rerun the models
of the BV205, Hy-Gain 205 and the 4 element SteppIR in YO and the
results are unequivocal.

Both the Hy-Gain and BV designs give up maximum gain and front to
back in order to obtain better performance  across the entire band
(the N6BV design does a better job as a result of being computer
optimized).  The SteppIR does not have to make those compromises
as a result of its ability to retune at each frequency.

If you want to compare any four or five element 32 or 43 foot
boom 20 meter monobander optimized only for gain at a single
frequency to a four element steppIR optimized for gain at the
same frequency, there will be less than .25 dB difference.  That's
simple physics (electromagnetics).  Don't give me the BS that a
similarly sized monoband antenna will trash the SteppIR - cause
it's simply is not possible.

If you want significantly more gain, be prepared to go with a boom
that is 50 to 100 percent longer - it's pure electromagnetics and
has been documented in amateur literature for more than 30 years
(start reading Lawson, Leeson, etc.).

73,

   ... Joe, W4TV