[TowerTalk] Tower design question

KA6AMD ka6amd at earthlink.net
Fri Jun 29 18:34:45 EDT 2007

I'll take a whack at this since I have had to deal with it recently.

I live out in the Mojave desert where the relative humidity is usually
in the teens.Even with that and 100+ daytime temperatures, I was able to
drain water out of my mast sections when they got plugged up.  The day
to night temperature differences pumped water into the mast sections.
As it cooled down at night, the water condensed in the tube.  It
collected there faster than it could evaporate during the day.

What we are dealing with here is a powerful force of nature: vapor
pressure.  When there are more water molecules outside a space than
inside, the water wants to migrate to the lower vapor pressure.
Stopping it is very difficult.  Hence hermetically sealed containers are
very expensive and hard to make.  The way it is done in industry is to
use welded seams and complicated gasket seals.

So what you would have to do is put a seal on every penetration of the
tower tubing and make sure that seal is not damaged or compromised
during assembly.  This would be almost impossible on a tower and would
cost an arm and a leg.

An alternative would be to pump dry air through the tower to maintain
the interior relative humidity below the condensation temperature of
water.  This is a maintenance headache and costly as well.  The best bet
(and by far the cheapest) is to let the water drain out.

Erich N6FD
(ex KA6AMD)