[TowerTalk] Wire Dipole Meets High Voltage Electric Fence: Keeping the Receiver Happy

ersmar at comcast.net ersmar at comcast.net
Sat Mar 3 10:36:37 EST 2007

Jeff:

     You might consider doing what the electric utilities do when they're working around live wires: sleeve them with rubber.  You might see this where a new power line is being installed above a live circuit that it's crossing, or where construction equipment like cranes might come into contact with the energized conductors.

     I would suggest slitting lengths of rubber garden hose and slipping them over the DE-ENERGIZED span or spans of electric fence wire below your dipole.  I have no idea what the dielectric breakdown strength of rubber garden hose is but it's got to be better than having the dipole and fence wires in direct contact.

     Of course, I realize you will lose a span or two of electric fence <dissuasion> where you install the hose.  You'll have to decide whether your cattle or other animals are conditioned thoroughly enough to avoid the fence in those areas.

73 de
Gene Smar  AD3F

From: Jeff Stevens <jeff at mossycup.com>