[TowerTalk] Stacking Tribanders was: Re: Stacking 204BA's

Pete Smith n4zr at contesting.com
Sat Mar 10 07:27:43 EST 2007

A few years ago I did a lot of computer modeling in trying to figure out the best spacing for a 2-high stack of C-3E tribanders.  In the process I discovered a couple of things that may be relevant:

-- compromise spacing is just that, and even over a 2:1 frequency range there really is no decent 3-band compromise, so the problem with a 2-stack on MonstIRs is truly compounded.  I would up compromising between 20 and 15.

-- there are some quirky sweet spots for F/B ratio.  For example, a 2-high stack of C-3Es on 20 has F/B of only about 11-12 dB, but at 36 foot spacing, my models show that the stack exhibits 26 dB F/B over a relatively narrow frequency range at the bottom end of the band.  I was tempted to move my lower yagi from its original 28-foot compromise spacing to 36 feet, at least for the remainder of the sunspot minimum, but the modeling doesn't show a comparable "sweet spot" for stacking gain.  I often find that low F/B isn't *that* big a handicap, and it would have been a lot of hard work, so I left things alone.

73, Pete N4ZR