[TowerTalk] TowerTalk Digest, Vol 51, Issue 28

K7LXC at aol.com K7LXC at aol.com
Tue Mar 13 06:47:26 EST 2007

In a message dated 3/12/2007 9:31:02 P.M. Pacific Daylight Time,
towertalk-request at contesting.com writes:

>  OK, sorry about this, but I have to ask.... what is the  prevailing wisdom
on big grips compared to cable clamps for guying 3/16  EHS?

    Grips - si! Cable clamps -  no!

>  I'm making plans to put up my 70ft 25g with a 3el  Steppir.  I've never
used grips before and although I understand how they  are supposed to work, I'm
curious if folks think that grips could fail quicker  than cable clamps in any
situations?

    If you use the right grip with the right cable,  you'll never have any
sort of problem. You CAN NOT mix cables and grips even  if they're for the same
size.

>  The reason all this came  about is that I'm trying to figure out how much
guy wire I really need and  what lengths to cut.  Obviously if I go with cable
clamps, I need to have  extra cable for each point where it wraps through the
terminating object, be  it an anchor, insulator, tower, or turnbuckle. It
sure seems like the grips  will help me calculate the size of the wire easier?

    Yessireebob.

Cheers & GL,
Steve      K7LXC
TOWER TECH -