[TowerTalk] Polyrod vs Philly vs 502s

Paul Bittner w0aih at discover-net.net
Wed Mar 14 20:48:12 EST 2007

WDGY, 50 KW AM station in Mpls/St Paul had one of their 9 towers go down in
a wind storm because Philly failed.

The station noted the bulb life was greatly diminished....they believed it
was vibration of the tower...

They were told to put lead weights on the bottom side of the cable...

They did, but apparently the Crosby clamps holding the lead weights were too
tight, weakened the cable and the one of the cables broke...the end, 240
foot tower went down.

At that point WDGY put the nice dampeners on the cable and that must have
eliminated the problem.

Well, WDGY relocated and I took down the  other 8 towers with all the heliax
and philly.

I like philly but it is $$ so use mostly many eggs & preforms.

Now you have  some  not silly philly story.

Paul  W0AIH    www.qth.com/w0aih